LOOKUP SERVICE : That helps your HIE entities talk to each other
Using common terminology is vital for knowledge sharing over multiple locations. National and international code systems and value sets should be readily available for validation, comparison and aggregation with local data. It provides consistent meaning and promotes shared understanding. It enables comparison and integration of data so its most essential for interoperation among systems, applications and institutions.
“A precise, accessible and quality terminology service provides standard data to achieve improved and coordinated care with better reporting.”
Using iMTD™ an organization can look up, validate and translate medical terms. This is a most crucial component of any HIE implementation as it serves as a look up service which can be used by other participating components to send message to each other.
iMTD™ provides a container for any structured medical terminology database. It uses Unified Medical Language System (UMLS®) data but can use any database with a structured terminology database. It has electronic versions of various thesauri, classifications, code sets, and lists of controlled terms used in patient care, health services billing, public health statistics, indexing and cataloging biomedical literature, and/or basic, clinical, and health services research.
Typical functions of the Terminology Services include the following:
- Code System Query: Is SNOMED CT available?
- Concept/Code Validation: Is Code ‘123456789’ in SNOMED CT?
- Code Translation: What is the LOINC code for clinic A’s ‘CBC’ code?
- Value Set (Subset) Query: Is the Maternal Health Value Set available?
- Value Set Resolution: Return the contents of Maternal Health Value Set.
It supports various terminologies such as
- SNOMED CT
- NDC Codes
- HCPCS Codes
- Value Sets & OID mapping
iMTD™ REST API Resources includes
- Retrieves concepts when searching by term or code
- Retrieves information about a known concept
- Retrieves atoms and information about atoms for a known concept
- Retrieves definitions for a known concept
- Retrieves information about a known source-asserted identifier
- Retrieves information about atoms for a known source-asserted identifier
- Retrieves immediate parents of a source-asserted identifier
- Retrieves immediate children of a source-asserted identifier
- Retrieves all ancestors of a source-asserted identifier
- Retrieves all descendants of a source-asserted identifier
- Retrieves all relationships of a source-asserted identifier
- Retrieves all available source-asserted subsets
- Retrieves information about a specific source-asserted subset
- Retrieves members of a specific source-asserted subset
- Retrieves an individual member of a specific source-asserted subset
- Retrieves information about source-asserted attributes
- Retrieves all source-asserted identifiers that share a UMLS CUI with a particular code
iMTD™ Logical Architecture
Security & Data Protection
- Server is SSL over TLS protected
- Data is encrypted using 2048-bit encryption key
- For HIPAA & HITRUST compliance App server and DB server can be configured on two separate physical nodes
- DB server is set up in secure mode with no anonymous user and no remote connectivity